Speaking on behalf of NBA players, NBPA chief executive Tamica Trimaglio said Friday she called for a lifetime ban on Phoenix Suns majority owner Robert Sarver, who suspended the league for a year over racist and misogynistic comments.
“We certainly advocate that [lifetime ban], Tremaglio said in an interview with ESPN’s NBA Today. “We don’t want him to be in a position where he manages or deals with individuals who deal with our players or the players themselves. We are quite clear from the findings in the report that we don’t want him to be in that position.”
Trimaglio confirmed that she was speaking on behalf of the players, and her statements came after the Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James And a point guard Suns Chris Paul He tweeted their disappointment with Sarver’s NBA penalty earlier this week.
“Our players want that while we understand that there has been a thorough investigation and while we are very pleased that the NBA has been able to follow up on that – because obviously this is something we want to see happen – we also want to make it clear to us that we don’t want him to come back,” Trimaglio said. To a position where it will affect our players and those who serve our players on a daily basis.”
In addition to the one-year ban, Sarver was also fined $10 million after the NBA on Tuesday released its findings from a 10-month independent investigation into allegations of workplace abuse during Sarver’s tenure as a managing partner of Suns. Nearly two decades ago.
The National Basketball Association commissioned an investigation following an ESPN story in November 2021 detailing allegations of racism and misogyny during Sarver’s 17 years as an owner.
Trimaglio told ESPN that she has expressed her views to NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, though it remains unclear if the league’s penalty to Sarver will change.
“I don’t know how open [Silver] Tremaglio said in terms of wanting to make a change. “I think we hope it is very clear that Mr. Sarver should not be in a position to return to be in a management position. We have heard from other owners. We have heard from sponsors, etc. I think it is quite clear that there are no expectations his return.”
Trimaglio was asked if there were any talks with players about boycotting the games as training camp approaches.
“We haven’t had those discussions yet,” Trimaglio said. “We are all preparing for one season. … but I think it is very clear that our players are incredibly upset about what happened. Their hearts go out to the families and all the individuals who have really had to put up with this for such a long period of time. But at the same time, they know that They have a job to do and they are really excited to get ahead in the season.”
Tremaglio added: “Quite frankly, I know we never want our players to be in a situation where they are insecure or the people around them are insecure. Mr. Sarver had the ability to set the tone at the top. And for us having individuals playing a leadership role impacts on The game in this way harms the success of our players and the safety of our players and will not be tolerated.”