The death of Dr. Ferdinand S. Lecock, a retired surgeon who served in the army during the Vietnam War – Baltimore Sun

Dr. Ferdinand S. passed away. Lecock, a retired thoracic and cardiovascular surgeon who worked as a combat field surgeon during the Vietnam War, died on October 5 of multiple myeloma at his home in Pikesville. He was 88 years old.

“Everyone I knew who met him loved him not just for the doctor he was but for the person he was. Dr. Samuel Ross, who retired in 2020 from Bonn Securus Health System, said he worked closely with Dr. Leacock, who retired after He retired from practicing surgery in 2004, and worked at Bonn Securs Hospital as a Consultant Physician.

Dr. Ferdinand S.

“[Dr. Leacock] Distinguished and grandiose in his approach, he was academic, but always with a good sense of humour.

Howard T. was not. Jessamy, the former director at Provident Hospital in Baltimore, is not only a colleague but an old friend of 39 years.

“He was well liked by his colleagues and his patients,” said Mr. Gisame. “He was a calm and reasonable person. He was an efficient and effective doctor.”

Ferdinand Saint-Aubin-Lecoc was the son of immigrant parents. His father was Ferdinand S.

Dr. Leecock was born in New York City, and when his mother was not allowed to practice midwifery in Manhattan, she worked as a seamstress in a garment factory. Seeking better child care for her son, she sends him to live with her mother in Barbados.

After graduating from Harrison College, a high school in Christchurch, Barbados, he returned to New York City, where he attended Columbia College and received his BA in 1956.

He earned his medical degree in 1960 from Howard University School of Medicine and completed a general surgical residency at the old Fort Howard Old Hospital and residencies in both thoracic and cardiovascular surgery from what is now the University of Maryland Medical Center.

During his junior year in Columbia, he met former student Yvonne Smith, whom he met in religion class, and fell in love with her. They married in 1968.

Dr. Lecock joined the Army as a captain, and from 1965 to 1967. He was a general surgeon at Valley Forge General Hospital in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, before being sent to Vietnam in 1967 as a field surgeon assigned to the Eighteenth Surgical Hospital in Pleiku.

In 2017, Dr.

“On March 3, 1967, you were assigned to receive me at the 18th Surgical Hospital in Pleiku. I was hit by artillery shelling and my face, shoulder and chest damaged my liver, gallbladder and several ribs,” wrote Major Dean. “For four days every time I woke up, I’d see your face and watch your hands work their magic on my body to make it better… For fifty years, I’ve seen your face and your hands, and I don’t know who you are… It would be nice to speak and thank you for saving my life “.

“That message got through in 2017, and we called him right away so the two could chat,” Ms Leacock said. “Vietnam had a hard time, and when he got home, he threw everything in a box.”

After being discharged from the hospital in 1967, he completed his thoracic surgery residency in 1969 at what is now the University of Maryland Medical Center and was appointed chief of surgery at Old Provident Hospital in Liberty Heights Street.

From 1972 to 1976, he was an assistant professor of surgery at the Charles R. Drew Graduate School of Medicine in Los Angeles, and during that time period, he was an assistant professor of surgery at the University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine.

Dr. Lecock later became a clinical associate professor in the Department of Surgery at Mahary College of Medicine in Nashville, Tennessee, from 1981 to 1985.

After holding several surgical positions at Los Angeles County Hospital – Martin Luther King, Jr. General, Dr. Leacock returned to Baltimore in 1987 when he was appointed Chief of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at Bon Secours Hospital, during which time he also served as Chief of Thoracic Surgery. At what is now the University of Maryland’s Midtown Medical Center.

From 1990 to 1992 he was vice president of medical affairs for Old Liberty Medical Center and from 1992 to 1999 he was chief of the hospital’s department of surgery. He also continued to practice private surgery until his retirement in 2004.

“On a personal level, he gave me sound advice and guidance,” Mr. Gisame said. “He was a mentor to me, too.”

morning sun

morning sun


Get the morning news in your inbox. Get all the news and sports from

Dr. Leacock retired in 2015 from Bonn Securs Hospital, where he has been a consultant physician since 2004.

A world traveler, some of his most meaningful trips have been visiting the Holy Land on pilgrimages organized and directed by Reverend Wendell Phillips, Pastor of the United Heritage Church, who baptized Dr. Lecock in the Jordan River.

“He was not a member of the church,” said his wife, “but he used to accompany us to Bible studies and spiritual retreats.”

Dr. Leacock has been an active member of the Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity. His wife said he was also “a fierce competitor on the tennis court and at the card table, playing the tender whistle”. “He preferred strong opponents, and he liked to win.”

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. November 5 at the March Life Tribute Center, 5616 Old Court Road, Randallstown.

In addition to his wife of 64 years, a former executive director of the Hope Support Center, Dr. Leacock is survived by three sons: Keith Leacock of Mount Vernon, Stephen Leacock of Pikesville, and Kent Leacock of Oakland, California. daughter, Adrian Leacock of Oakland, California; and three grandchildren.

Leave a Comment